Property in Asturias, Spain
The property market in Asturias offers a great opportunity to buy a holiday home or second house at an excellent price. Property values in Asturias are lower than most regions in Spain and include many beautiful country houses or "casa rusticas" (often in good sized plots of land). Many older properties in Asturias are former farms and require some degree of renovation, but local builders have high levels of traditional skills and renovation costs are lower than in much of southern Spain. If you want to look for property in Asturias or northern Spain, it is a good idea to start your hunt by looking for towns and areas like Ovideo, Aviles and Picos de Europa.
For some further links to information about buying property in Asturias and to see some property searching and buying tips, check out the information at the bottom of this page.
To find out more about what it would be like to live in Asturias, take a look around the rest of this site. There are more than 100 pages of information.
Many companies selling property in Spain's Costas will also have sections featuring houses in the north of Spain in regions like Asturias and Galica.
Asturias property searching and buying tips
Here are a few things to consider when looking for property in Asturias or Northern Spain.
- Prices will be in euros when listing houses in Asturias (or Spain), so convert to pounds Stirling, US, Canadian or Australian dollars etc using the current exchange rate.
- Check the location (e.g. isolated, near a city, etc) of the Asturian properties that you are interested in. If a house looks very cheap it may be in the middle of nowhere. Asturia and Spain are beautiful, but soem areas can be isolated.
- Do not enter in to any kind of house purchase agreement until you have taken legal advice, the property purchasing system in Spain is very different to most other parts of the world.
- Remember that in addition to the cost of a house or property in Asturias there will be duties, taxes and fees to pay.
- Always try to get advice in the language of your native tongue and do not consider “notaries” to be independent. In their case, “independent” has a different meaning to what you might expect.
For some reasons why you might want to think about buying a house in Asturias, take a look at our Why buy property in Asturias page. This page should give you a feel for what you can expect from this green and scenic region as a second home.
To find out about the different property buying options in Asturias, take a look at our The types of property that you could buy in Asturias page. This page may give you some property buying otions in Asturias.